Monday, January 28, 2013

Review Sister Assassin by Kiersten White


Sister Assassin (Sister Assassin, #1)Title: Sister Assassin
Author: Kiersten White 
Published: February 19th, 2013 (HarperCollins Children's Books)
Pages: 302
Source: for review
Series:
Mind Games #1

Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: She never chose her deadly gift but now she’s forced to use it. How far would you go to protect the only family you have left?

Annie is beset by fleeting strange visions and a guilty conscience. Blind and orphaned, she struggles to care for her feisty younger sister Fia, but things look up when both sisters are offered a place at Kessler School for Exceptional Girls.

Born with flawless intuition, Fia immediately knows that something’s wrong, but bites her tongue… until it’s too late. For Fia is the perfect weapon to carry out criminal plans and there are those at Kessler who will do anything to ensure her co-operation.

With Annie trapped in Kessler’s sinister clutches, instincts keep Fia from killing an innocent guy and everything unravels. Is manipulative James the key to the sisters’ freedom or an even darker prison? And how can Fia atone for the blood on her hands?

This is my first book I've read by Kiersten White. I've heard many amazing things about her Paranormalcy series and I even own the first book, but I still haven't read it. I saw Sister Assassin for the first time in the US version, called Mind Games, which, next to a different title, also has a different cover. 
So first of all I just can't understand why the UK version is so different. I think both title and cover are stronger in the US version. 

I was really excited for this book and I was thrilled that I got a review copy via Netgalley. Unfortunately the story wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. This has majorly to do with two things. The first is my own fault. I tend to not read a synopsis again before I start reading a book. It was a while ago since I actually read it and most of the book I was confused about Fia's power. In the story she's special because of it, but not until the end it is said what that power actually is. But the story reads as though you should know it. Which you should, if you just read the synopsis. 

The second thing is that I just couldn't relate to both Fia and Annie. The story is told from their perspectives. Every chapter is told from Fia or Annie and also in different time zones. Some chapters are in the present, others tell their story up to two years ago. This gave the story an interesting twist. Through different settings you get their story and why they're in this situation. But it felt so distant and sometimes I didn't even care what happened to them.

Although I must say that the ending took me completely by surprise. I think my mouth was hanging open for like five minutes before I really grasped what had just happened. I just didn't get it. Why did the story had to end this way?!

I liked Sister Assassin, but I think it could have had a lot more to it! Did you also read this book? Let me know what you thought of it!

2 comments:

  1. I got it from Netgalley too. I haven't started it yet and this isn't really motivating... I like this review, it's honest! I don't think I will read it now, as I have tons of other books waiting for me that are probably better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that the story wasn't as good as you had hoped. I think that you shouldn't have to read the synopsis first and the story should be self-explanatory. Sometimes there are spoilers in the synopsis, so I don't always read them. I do like a surprise ending, so will have to give this one a chance. Thanks for a great review!

    Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!