Friday, December 21, 2012

Review Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Published: March 31st, 2001 (Penguin Books)
Pages: 563
Series: Caster Chronicles #1
Source: bought
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


I almost can't believe I've finally read this book! I wanted to read it for so long, but somehow it ended up at the bottom of my TBR pile and I keep adding books to the top. So there were always other books I wanted to read first. It feels a bit weird to have read it now! 

I'm glad I did though, because it's a great read! Not the best I've read this year, but it did make me curious for the movie. It was also a first for me to read a book of which I knew the movie is coming out soon(ish). It made reading the book a bit strange, because I kept thinking "Will they put this in the movie?" or "Hmm, how are going to film this?". I think I would have liked it better if I wasn't interrupting myself with these annoying thoughts!

What I loved most about Beautiful Creatures were the characters! I had to get used to reading from a boy's perspective, since so many YA is told from a girl's perspective. But again, this is just me being weird. It was easy to empathize with Lena and Ethan. And although it took me a while to finish this book (fifteen days is really long for me) I wanted to know how things would end with them! 

I must say I was a bit disappointed by the end. It felt like the entire book was written as a stand alone and at the last page the authors thought "Why not make a series?". Don't get me wrong, I love that there's more books in this series I can read and I definitely will, but I thought the ending would be different, that's all. 

Overall, I loved this book, but wasn't blown away by it. If you love books about witches, than you'll love this one!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book. And the second in this series is even better! Great series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this book when it first came out and loving it as well. I just never got around to book two and I barely remember book one now. May have to pick it up and give it another chance!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!