Friday, November 30, 2012

Review Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published: January 3rd, 2012 (HarperCollins)
Pages: 268
Source: bought
Series: 
Under the Never Sky #1
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.

This was the first ebook I've ever read. I was a bit skeptical at first. I was afraid it wouldn't feel as holding an actual book. I had to get used to it, but I couldn't have started with a better book! This is a couple of months back, even before I started blogging. So that's why I never wrote a review. When I was picking the books for my 200 followers giveaway I noticed that and thought it was time to change that!

For some books it's really hard to write a review after such a long time, but this book stayed with me! It's so amazing! 
Especially the world setting. It's a beautiful combination of the past and the future. Aria, who lives in the virtual realms has always been afraid of the outsiders, or she's said to be afraid  So when she's put into the wild for a crime she didn't commit she's terrified and certain her death will come soon. That's where we meet Perry. He's an outsider and he can't stand Aria. But for her to be able to survive he has to help her and he feels obliged to. 

At first Aria is naive and she believes anything, especially the things her 'people' told her, but throughout the story she grows to stand on her own feet and to think for herself. I liked Aria at the beginning of the story and I understood where her naivety came from, but I loved her at the end. She really becomes a kick ass kinda girl and I can't wait how she'll turn out in the second installment. 

The story is told from two perspectives, alternating chapters, Perry's and Aria's. I'm not always a fan of multiple perspectives, but here they worked. Through Aria you learned more about her world and through Perry about his. And you get to know two sides of both: as they see themselves and how the other sees them. This was fascinating. 

There were so many amazing things about this book, it's almost impossible to write them all down. I was most intrigued by the gifts of the outsiders. Some people were 'marked' and they were gifted with enhanced senses. Perry is a Seer and a Scire, so he can see really well and smell emotions and tempers. It made the relationship between him and Aria different than others. The part where Aria realizes Perry can smell her emotions is so funny!
Definitely a book I would recommend and I can't wait to read Through the Ever Night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading the sequal to this as well. Such an amazing book :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!