Thursday, November 22, 2012

Review Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published: March 2nd, 2010 (Hyperion)
Pages: 323
Source: bought
Series: 
Hex Hall #1
Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. 
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. 
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, "especially" her.

I had Hex Hall on my wish list for such a long time! I love books about witches and this sounded like something I would really enjoy. And I totally did! If your a witch book lover like me you'll love Hex Hall. 

Rachel Hawkins has an awesome writing style. At the beginning of the story you meet Sophie. She's a witch for three years now and she tries to stay in this school instead of transferring for the umptieth time. But during prom a sweet girl is sad because she doesn't have a date and Sophie tries to fix it for her. Only her spell backfires and she's transferred again. This time to Hecate Hall. A school for troubled witches, fairies, shapeshifters, werewolves and even a vampire. 

I loved Sophie! She such an amazing kick ass girl! But not in the "look at me I have amazing powers" kinda way. The very first thing she does when she arrives at Hecate Hall is being attacked by a werewolves and instead of defending herself with her powers she calls him "bad dog". This book made me laugh out loud more than once! And Rachel Hawkins introduced me to my new book crush!

Meet Archer Cross. Handsome, warlock and taken by the most popular girl in the school. Sophie doesn't only manage to like him, but to also piss off the three most popular girls in the school. Which gets her into detention with, yes, Archer Cross. I would want him as a book boyfriend! Even thought he's not as good as he seems. 

The story doesn't only contain a hot guy and cool jokes, it's also quite serious. Jenna, vampire and Sophie's roommate, lost her old roommate a couple of months ago. She was found murdered, drained from all her blood. Everyone suspects Jenna, but she keeps saying she didn't do it. And again people are being attacked. Sophie tries to prove Jenna is innocent, but no one wants to believe her. 
I didn't saw the ending coming of Hex Hall! Sophie learns a lot about herself and how she became such a powerful witch. I want to read Demonglass! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I love witches too, and I hadn't heard of this book before. Thanks for sharing, I'm adding it to my TBR! What a nice review! :D And I cannot wait to get to know Archer. ;)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've seen this at the library and now I know it's worth checking out =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a big fan of the second book, but the third book was cool again :) BUT I was also in a bit of a reading slump at the time.. so I might not be entirely trustworthy haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have this book but I am always hesitant about picking it up for whatever reason but I will definitely think seriously now about reading it :D Brilliant review, thanks for sharing

    xoxo, Mariam
    Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!