Sunday, October 07, 2012

Review Immortal City by Scott Speer


Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)TitleImmortal City
Author: Scott Speer
Published: April 3rd, 2012 (Razorbill)
Pages: 368
Source: bought
Series: 
Immortal City #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them.

He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.
Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.
Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat & and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson. 

A series about Guardian Angels that get paid to save people? And we're not talking about 1000 dollars, no the very first chapter sets the scene: man gets almost crushed in his car, gets saved by his Guardian. Afterwards the guy asks: how much? 100.000 dollars! Speaking of a good business!

The story is told from different perspectives. Maddy, the girl who doesn't have any interest in the Angels, unlike everybody else in the Immortal City. Than there's Jackson, the soon to be youngest Guardian Angel. He doesn't know why Maddy doesn't recognize him when he asks for her help, but he's immediately intrigued by her. The third POV is Detective Sylvester. When Angel wings are found on the the star of an Angel, he's the only one that can help them. 

I loved Maddy! Everybody wants to know everything about the Angels, but not her! When she meets Jackson she doesn't even recognize him even though he's the most famous of them all. 
Jackson and Maddy fall in love, and the more time Maddy spends in Jackson world the more she is in danger. 

From the very beginning I knew something was up with Maddy. So I had my suspicions how the story would end. And I was so wrong! Scott Speer has an amazing way of turning the story. i really hadn't seen that coming. 
I loved his writing style! It gets you hooked in the story immediately. After a while I got a bit irritated by Maddy, because she keeps talking about not wanting to be with Jacks, but that she can't keep away from him. But the writing style and the story made up for that! It's full of tension and plot twists. 

If you love books about angels, than you want to give this book a try!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not such a big fan of angel books unless they offer something really different (I love L.A. Weatherly's series). But angels getting paid for their work? That's definitely an unexpected spin! I also like that it's told from different perspectives. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to read this one! Such a different take on angels. And $100 is a good deal for getting my life saved lol I'm glad that the book took a twist you didn't see coming! I feel like everything is so predictable these days.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!