Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Books That Make Me Think About The World, People, Life, etc.

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday has another topic and different bloggers give their top ten. I love making lists, so here's mine for this week!

This week topic is 

Top Ten Books That Make Me Think About The World, People, Life, etc.

BunheadsBunheads by Sophie Flack
The last book I read that really made me think was Bunheads. Hannah thinks she's living her dream, but discovers throughout the story that her dream can contain be more than what she has now. It made me think about what to do with my own life. I'm currently unemployed and I'm working as an intern at a publishing house. I love it, but it didn't get me where I wanted to be by now, so maybe it's time to change some things drastically. 

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Who's That Girl?I was around twenty years when I read this book and it completely blow me away. So beautifully written and the story contains so many layers. It made me think about the world in general. How things are and how they could be. 

Who's That Girl by Alexandra Potter
In this book Charlotte meets her 21-year-old self and she tries to tell her about the mistakes she's made and hopes to change things. Since I'm only 23 now I would like to go back to my 15-year-old self and tell her not to date that stupid boy, not to study art history and not to feel so insecure! But she probably won't listen... I wouldn't ;).

The Time Traveler's WifeTime Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
This book literally gave me a headache. The time traveling was something I needed to figure out. With all the different time settings and all. I loved this book, it's one of my all time favori  es. And of course it made me think, because Henry goes back to the past, but can't change it and I think that's so hard. He visits the times that made him who he is now and it got me thinking what moments that are for me. 

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
All dystopians make me think about how the future will be. But this one in particular unsettled me a bit. Mostly because our culture is already so fascinated with looks, it could happen for real and that's really scary. 

The Last SongThe Last Song by Nicholas Spark
Ronnie hates her father, but she has to spend her summer at his place. This book made me cry so hard and it made me think about the people that are dear to me and about the things I wish would have gone differently. 

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I have the deepest respect for J.R.R. Tolkien for creating an entire new world. It made me realize that even the tiniest person could change the world and make great things happen. 

Finding Sky (Benedict, #1)Finding Sky by Joss Stirling
This book is so romantic. I love the idea of soul mates and I've always wondered if this could really be. Being destined for just one person. It always reminds me of the lightning comment. I think I saw a movie once where someone brings this up, his friend answers with: what would happen if the other person got struck by lightning? Than your soul mate would be gone and than what? But the idea is very romantic. 



Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
ForgottenIf you haven't read this book it's set in space on a spaceship. I loved this book, because it made me think about how influential culture is on the way we think and how we act on things. 

Forgotten
How would it be to wake up every morning and not remembering what happened before that, but you can see the future. London knows the people around her, because she sees them in her (near) future. It's like she lives the other way around. How would I live my life if I knew what was going to happen, but not knowing what happened in the past?


13 comments:

  1. Yes! His Dark Materials trilogy is definitely a book that makes you think - about so many things. Such a wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOme good books listed that Ive read. Now Glow I totally forgot about, its true it really does make you questions some in your head when you read glow. Can you imagine!!!

    Check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord of the Rings makes it to my rather lengthy list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this list! Alexandra Potter is an amazing Author, Time Traveller's wife is just...beyond awesome into the realm of epic. Oh I forgot about Uglies!!!
    Definitely going to look at His Dark Materials because so many people have raved about it :)
    Thanks for checking out my TTT Helene
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also picked His Dark Materials and Uglies-- yay for Uglies! Finding Sky sounds like an interesting book, though I don't usually go for much romance, but I also love the cover. :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot! I forgot His Dark Materials! Do over, lol. Lots of great picks here like Uglies and LOTR. I haven't read any of the others but clearly need to. Thanks for stopping by our blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who's That Girl by Alexandra Potter sound good!! I wish I could go back and change some things too :P :) Great list! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful list! Love that you mentioned LotR and Uglies. Who's That girl and Finding Sky sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the Time Travelers Wife

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo Who's That Girl sounds really good! I too would love to go back and tell myself some things. I stressed about the small things all the time so I think I would tell myself to chill out and just enjoy the moment. Every little thing has a way of working out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh great books, i love TTW, and the last song!
    check out mine too . new to book blogging!

    Katie @ Inkk Reviews

    http://www.inkkreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe that I forgot about His Dark Materials!!! I LOVE that series so much, and it absolutely makes you think. A fantastic choice!

    Thanks for stopping by my post yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these books (I started the Time Travelers Wife, but couldn't get into it). Bunheads is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!