Thursday, August 02, 2012

Review Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


Title: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Published: August 31st, 2010 (Atheneum)
Pages: 543
Source: bought
Series: Nevermore #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. 
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 
His life depends on it.

Nevermore is as intriguing as the synopsis. I really liked reading this book. It's really hard to put down. And it's pretty freaky, but in a good way!

Isobel is a popular cheerleader and Varen is the complete opposite, a dark outsider. Varen is distant and Isobel open. I was afraid she would be superficial, but I liked her. She isn't the typical snobby cheerleader you read so much about. She also thinks about others and she does want this project done. She's intrigued by Varen, and who wouldn't? He's so mysterious and sometimes really creepy. 


The greatest thing about this book was Edgar Allen Poe, I loved the story evolved around him and his death. It gave the story so much more meaning. It was one of the reasons I had a hard time putting this book down. Even after it ended! I really want to get my copy of Enshadowed soon! I'm glad I read this story relatively late, now the waiting is almost done!


I loved the story and Kelly Creaghs writing style! And a beautiful world setting! I would recommend this book!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review!!! I enjoyed this book too! I agree that both the setting and the author's writing style are very engaging! The characters are also really interesting!!! Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to the sequel too :-)

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!