Friday, July 06, 2012

Review A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton


Title: A Witch in Winter
Author: Ruth Warburton 
Published: January 5th, 2012 (Hodder Children's Books)
Pages: 346
Source: bought
Series: Winter Trilogy #1
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power. When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her – but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.

As with many of my books I bought this title a while ago and it just set there on my TBR pile. With the second book (which is published today!) on the way I decided to finally read it. Why didn't I read this sooner?! Once I started reading it was hard to stop (but I had to, work and all). I absolutely loved Ruth Warburton's writing style. The first chapter wasn't all that exciting, it's mainly about Anna moving into her new house with her dad, but even then I just couldn't stop. It's not without reason that the writing style is one of the most important things of a book for me, but this book proved it once more. 

Luckily it didn't end with the writing style, because the story was great too! Anna is a lovable character. She doesn't know she's a witch until after she enchants Seth. But there is even more to her than that, because the most important witch clan takes an interest in her. And this is why I can't wait for the second book because it's not clear why exactly at the end of the first book.
I didn't really know what to think of Seth. When Anna first arrives at school she's warned against him, but he turns out to be a pretty nice guy. He starts acting weird when Anna enchants him and until the end I didn't know if he was sincere. Hopefully we'll find out in the second book! 


The story was nice and I really liked it. It's not really fast paced, but I didn't mind that at all. Everything happens in the right time. Sometimes I have this feelings that things are rushed or too slow, but there was a nice balance in this story. Apart from that I just love books about witches and I think there are way too many good books about them. A great debut novel! 


1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked this! I have it too but haven't read it yet - now I might have to push it up the list :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!