Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review The Curse Girl by Kate Avery Ellison




Title: The Curse Girl
Author: Kate Avery Ellison 
Published: May 14th, 2011 (EllisonBooks)
Pages: 194
Source: bought
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: When Bee is imprisoned in a magical, cursed house because of her father's selfish choices, she has just one plan... escape! But she must solve a riddle and help her fellow prisoners break the curse that binds them all before she can leave, and that is proving more difficult than she originally thought thanks to the bitter young master of the house, Will. 
Will wants nothing to do with Bee or her help (and he certainly isn't planning on falling in love with her), but he might have underestimated just how determined and clever--and irresistible--she can be.



I discovered this book when the author befriended me on Goodreads. Normally I select my books in a different way (mostly recommendations), but I was so intrigued by the synopsis that I decided to give it a chance. And I wasn't disappointed. 


It's a retelling of the fairytale Beauty and the Beast. If you like stories that are inspired by fairytales, you should read The Curse Girl.
The main character Bee (short for Beauty) is imprisoned in this house where the people don't even know their real names anymore, the rooms are never in the same place and at night there is a Beast wailing in the darkness. Bee loathes Will, the master of the house, so when she's told to stay in her room, she goes looking for the Beast who cries all night. She befriends him and decides she wants to lift the curse for him, to set him free, and of course herself. 


I admired Bees determination. She doesn't stop before the curse is lifted.  She even goes looking for the witch who put it on the house and it's residents. 
Because the story is inspired on the well-known fairytale you know how it's going to end, but the author also gave a beautiful twist to the story so I didn't even notice until a very obvious point that the end was coming (I must add here that I read it as an ebook, so I literary didn't know the end was coming). I really loved the story! And Kates writing style made it even better. 


The only downside: it's so short. But that's really a compliment. I would have liked to read some more, because I liked it so much. 


I'm really enthusiastic about The Curse Girl and I definitely recommend it, especially for those who like the books of Alex Flinn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!