Sunday, May 27, 2012

Review Fever by Lauren DeStefano


Title:Vrees
Original title: Fever
Author: Lauren Destefano
Published: April 20th, 2012 (Van Holkema & Warendorf)
Pages: 349
Source: for review
Series:
The Chemical Garden Trilogy #2
Rating: 3 / 5       
Synopsis from Goodreads: Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.
Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.
The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.
In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

I read this book in the Dutch translation, so it's possible that some things might be different in the original version. 
In a World where women do not get older than twenty and men die at twenty five, people live different lives. Women are taken from the streets to be sold to the highest bidder, often someone from the First Generation, the only people who do get old.
At the end of Wither Rhine flees with Gabriel from her husband and sister wives. In Fever they try to find her twin brother, but it isn’t easy. The world they end up in is dangerous, and her father-in-law, Vaughn, is closing in on them. Time flies by and that is frightening for more than one reason.

I picked up the first part because of its beautiful cover and they did a great job at this cover too. I wasn’t really enthusiastic at first about part one, but the world it is set in kept me thinking about it, so I liked the book a lot more in the end and that’s why I wanted to read part two.  It didn’t let me down. The story picks up where Wither ended, so you’re right back in the game. In the beginning I had to get used to the world and storyline again, but the story is really exciting, so I really enjoyed it.

The dystopian world is well set and you learn more about it in this book. I like the style of writing of Lauren DeStefano and because of that it was sometimes really difficult to put the book down. The end asks for more, so I can’t wait for part three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts. They make my day! :) Please leave a link to your blog, so I can pay you a visit!